Monday, July 7, 2014

What Are You Trying To Say?

-- Every artist has his or her own themes or messages to deliver. They're trying to say something. And even though every project they create and take on can be drastically different, if you look closely, there are always threads; through-lines into that person and their head and their soul.

Being the narcissist that I am, I looked at the books I've written to see if I could find a common thread. And I did. It's an ironic one, and if you actually know me as a human being in real life, it might be surprising. The biggest theme that I've seen carry though my stories so far is:

Positivity.

And never giving up.

Almost all of the characters in my stories face the worst things you could possibly face, but instead of giving up and curling into the fetal position like I feel like I would, they keep moving. They get stronger. They FIGHT. And I'm horribly jealous of them for that. But I'm glad that they exist, and I'm both surprised and not-at-all by this revelation.

And I think it's a useful tool for everyone to use. To look at their own lives and find the through-line; to rediscover what's important and what drives you.

Because I'm glad I did.


- D

No comments:

Post a Comment